25 October 2015

The Route

Oct 25th, 2015
(Click to see image)

Leg 1: North America (Missouri, USA ----> Panama, Panama)
     USA - Mexico - Belize - Guatemala - El Salvador - Honduras - Nicaragua - Costa Rica - Panama. (9)
     It's a good start since I used to ride in America, and there are only two popular languages that people speak: English and Spanish.
     Distance: 4394 miles (7071 km)

Leg 2: Europe & a little bit Asia (London, England ----> Istanbul, Turkey)
     UK - France - Switzerland - Italy - Germany - Austria - Hungary - Romania - Serbia - Bulgaria - Turkey. (11)
     This one should be the shortest trip in comparison to the rest since it has the best road's condition for any vehicle. Plus, the price for food here cost more.
     Distance: 2460 miles (3959 km)

Leg 3: Africa (Cairo, Egypt ----> Cape Town, South Africa)
     Egypt - Sudan - Eritrea - Ethiopia - Kenya - Tanzania - Malawi - Mozambique - Zimbabwe - Botswana - South Africa. (11)
     It's the longest one and also my favorite. I hope the fundraising money can be used to build the school(s) here.
     Distance: 6163 miles (9919 km)

Leg 4: Asia (New Delhi, India ----> Vietnam)
     India - Nepal - Bhutan - Myanmar - Thailand - Laos - Vietnam. (7)
     The long way to home. When I get back to Vietnam, I want to ride across the cities where my friends and my families live to greet them. It'll have been 5 years at that time. Da Nang, Quang Ngai, Quy Nhon, and tp Ho Chi Minh. All of them!
     Distance: 4118 miles (6627 km)

Total distance: 17135 miles (27576 km) ~ 18000 miles (in case I get lost)

Duration: 336 days (from June 2017 to May 2018). By going 60 miles/day, I would be able to finish the trip in 300 days, which gives me extra 36 days for being sick, late or being robbed. Not bad, ha?

Countries: 38. Yeah, I know I'm gonna have a hard time with my visas...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so happy to hear that you will come back to Viet Nam. It's a long journey,even dangerous. Be careful!!! I hope that you will help more poor people this journey.
I am looking forward to meeting you some days in Viet Nam.

Lykaios said...

Thank you for your concerns, Huyen!
I'll keep that in mind.

Unknown said...

That's sounds amazing!?!? but how are you going to raise money?/ how are you going to train for the EPIC journey home??

Lykaios said...

That's some interesting question, Shay. Asking for sponsorship is always my top concern from the beginning. As I look up to how other cyclist had done, fundraising money is not easy as it sounds and must be started as early as possible. I need to get people's attention about the plan and want to know if there is any loophole in it. That's what this blog for. For the next step, I will contact local newspaper (The Current will be one among them) to inform about what I'm going to do, what charities/causes I'm doing this for and make my own fundraising web page. I will also send letters and call many companies to introduce my plan. As you can see, there are a lot of fundraising for charity events now, so I have to make it clear why they should sponsor me. The possibilities are not limited and they must not be. The further I reach, the more people will know about the plan, and the more support I may receive.
About the training, I'm trying to reach 100 miles/day, but I like to go slow when I'm actually on the trip. I also will do a trial run to Florida next summer. Through this trial, I will know what I should bring with me for the future trip.
Again, I do appreciate your concerns and like to hear more from you.